Since I’m clearly such a (non) expert on the matter, here’s my list of what I think teens should read this year. And I will bite my fingers and not include fluff or comics. Sigh. And after the ages it took me to put links in the last one, you’ll have to google the titles yourself!
- Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Paradise Lost by John Milton
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fannie Flagg
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift
- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
- Kindred by Octavia Butler
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card*
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
*Be aware, the author is, IMO, an asshat. Despite that, amazing book.