Most years, my plot outline only goes down to level of chapters. This has worked moderately well for me, but allowed my writing to get out of hand. So as I mentioned before, I decided to break it down further into scenes, which I then assigned a wordcount goal (to make NaNoWriMo easier, but also to keep the scenes relatively balanced). Stories need a certain shape to them, a thing which I’ve never consciously mastered; it’s one thing to decide it feels right, another to actual understand why it works.
Anyway, it’s mostly been working for me. Some are slightly under the goal; others are a bit over. By sticking close to my goals, I can keep a scene from dragging on too long, a thing which I find dogs my writing. On the other hand, sometimes I get to the scene, and have no idea how I could have ever thought this particular bit could last for 1600 words! It’s a fun learning process, though. I’m able to put more thought into what I’m writing rather than just babbling until it seems like I’ve done enough. It’s a lot slower than my usual style, which does cause me a little worry. Slow is not your friend during Nano.
Here’s some art by thienbao that is inspiration for a vampire story idea I still have to write.